About Me

My photo
I am currently in my third year of a BA hons Degree studdying Design and Visual Arts for Fashion and Interiors, and working part time as a Bridal Consultant.

Wednesday, 12 May 2010

Contact report with Helen Latimer










The images displayed are all my own.


Helen Latimer is a free-lance fashion designer, some of her clientele have included Cotton Traders, United Textiles, Gilert and recently she has worked for Umbro designing the new England football shirt amongst other designs.
In January 2010, Helen visited Stockport College and gave feedback to all third year students on our work, shortly afterwards I met up with Helen and she gave me some critical but useful advice on my own work.

At the beginning of term I chose to look at organic elements of natural life in the form of mushrooms fungi and tree bark as inspiration for my brief, the brief I had written referred to surface design for fashion Spring /Summer 2010.

Helen said "I had good research and really liked my photos, I understood my context but spent to much time on research as this was stronger than my final product, the mood I created was fantastic but fabric manipulation needed to be pushed further for final fashion market". Helen told me "to make stitch samples looser because my photography of mushrooms and the moulds I had made as part of my research were visually softer than my final fabric samples, and to experiment more with fabric manipulation from my photos". Other advice Helen expressed was "to show more of an idea of how the fabrics should look visually when displayed onto fashion garments, to expand my mood boards more, boards looked empty and I needed to get a better feel for the concept". Helen really liked the mushroom moulds made from foam and plaster that I had created.

Helen gave me some good advice for my final major project which I was just beginning and said "I had a good eye for colour and putting things together and that I was aware of trends and visually displayed my work well, but lacked textile techniques". Helen suggested that I "work onto a stock man to pin fabrics for fashion and textile shape, to make my final mood boards creative by showing a suggestion of an image or fabric sample rather than the whole thing".

Helen's own portfolio was fantastic and professional, neat and clear, I respected Helen's advice and took on board the questions raised of how I could better my own work and make it more professional.

No comments:

Blog Archive